I recently had a request from a seller to not put a “For Sale” sign in their yard as the home was vacant and they didn’t want to attract “lookie-lous”.
The seller must indeed weigh the pros and cons of having a sign in the yard. Certainly, especially in the case of an empty home or in a situation where the sellers may be out of town, security may be a concern.
However, here are some facts to consider when making this decision according to the National Association of REALTORS® 2014 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers:
• The first step taken by home buyers 6% of the time was to drive by homes and neighborhoods.
• 48% of buyers cited that yard signs were a source of information used in the home buying process.
• 91% of buyers indicated a yard sign was a “very useful” (32%) or “somewhat useful” (56%) source of information.
• 9% of buyers ultimately found the home they purchased via a yard or open house sign.
• 6% found the home they ultimately purchased through a friend, relative or neighbor.