The kitchen is, without doubt, the heart of the home. It always has been, but in a much different way than it is now. People gather in it, laugh, play, work and cook in it. The kitchen is not just a natural extension of the great room, it has become the great room.
So what are the trends in the kitchen for 2013? Here are a few ideas that offer up some of the kitchen design predictions for the New Year:
1. Modern Style: Kitchens are getting more modern in style, boasting simplified lines and offering up big, open spaces perfect for entertaining.
2. Tucked-Away Appliances: Appliances designed to blend in with the rest of the kitchen, like with the same wood of the cabinets, are becoming more popular. Also, some appliances, like undercounter or mini refrigerators or trash compactors, are being tucked away into a kitchen island.
3. Lots of Lights: Great lighting in the kitchen is becoming more important, with lighting being layered with a mixture of task lighting and ambient lighting. Under-cabinet LED lights are becoming more commonplace.
4. Supersized Kitchen Islands: 2013 kitchen design trends are moving away from dining rooms and toward eating, drinking and interacting in the kitchen itself, and a large kitchen island complete with bar stools is the perfect way to make this happen. This helps to create a nice open-air feeling—especially if one can be used to bridge kitchen and living areas, another major 2013 kitchen design trend.
5. Neutral Color Schemes: The use of neutral colors in the kitchen is on the rise, particularly in shades of grays and greens and a variety of wood tones. Bright colors are being reserved for only small accents in the kitchen.
6. Fancy Appliances: Professional gas ranges and induction cooktops are popular kitchen appliances for making a more gourmet kitchen.
7. Decorative Range Hoods: Trends are moving away from a conventional stainless steel trapezoid-shaped hood to more decorative range hoods. These hoods may have built-in LED lights and are even serving almost like a decorative chandelier for a kitchen island.
8. Glass Backsplashes: High gloss is “in” for cabinets, appliances and backsplashes. A single-sheet, back-painted glass blacksplash is growing in popularity, which are also known for being easy to clean. These glass backsplashes are also reflective, adding a polished decorative touch to kitchens. Glass mosaic tile sheets are also increasing in popularity.
9. Mixing Cabinet Colors. Is dark brown too bland, but red too vibrant? Will white cabinets turn a dull shade of gray after the kids put their hands on them? If you can’t decide on a color for your kitchen cabinets, never fear—our experts say it isn’t just one color that will be trending in 2013, but rather a combination of colors. A variety of colors will provide visual interest, and can immediately give your kitchen an updated, modern look.
10. Grab Some Fresh Air. Outdoor kitchens and entertaining areas are hot. Your indoor kitchen should have an outdoor doppelganger close by, available through wide glass doors.
Click here for FAQs when planning a remodel for your kitchen. Also click on the picture above for more kitchen design ideas and trends for 2013.